Postman
(.375 member)
05/01/16 11:04 AM
Re: 7X65r double rifle for driven hunt?

My vote goes to getting the gun that fits you best at a price you can reconcile your wallet to. As for caliber, all other thing such as rifle weight being equal, I'd go for the 9.3x74R every time for the ranges you intend to hunt. I use a Merkel 140 in 9.3 and find the weight reasonable. I have a Trijicon RMR mounted on it, and I use 250 grain Barnes TTSX bullets in it. I've killed several caribou and a few whitetail deer with it, and performance was spectacular all the way to the farthest shot laser measured at 265 yards with a brisket to rear quarter exit wound channel on a 200 pound deer.

I also have several 7mm rifles ranging from the mild 7x57R to the 7mm Remington mag, but at hunting distances I am comfortable with, ie, under 300 yards and most often well under 100 yards, I gravitate to the 9.3 every time. The 7mms will absolutely get the job done, but I like the extra momentum and deep penetration of the slower heavier bullets of the 9.3x74R. When the 7mms are driven fast with light bullets, there is often a great deal of blood shot damaged meat. Brass/cartridge availability may be somewhat of concern, but even in North America, the 9.3x74R is becoming reasonably available and in places like Europe or the African continent, 9.3x74R is easy to find. The 7x65R in North America is a bit of an odd ball and somewhat harder to find.

Contact Us NitroExpress.com