Buchsemann
(.333 member)
05/01/16 05:33 AM
Re: 7X65r double rifle for driven hunt?

Here's another 2 cents ...

I'll recommend a well-balanced and properly weighted 9.3X74R as well. With a well-placed shot the boar will either drop immediately or take no more than a few steps and drop. I've read and heard many recommending larger bullets to ensure a good blood trail given that good sized boar have a large area of thick cartilage protecting their vitals that can seal up a small hole much like a self-sealing fighter plane's fuel tank, making trailing a boar wounded with a small bore difficult and particularly so if it was running with many other boar. I must add that I am without any personal experience in this regard. On the other hand, a while back I lung shot one of my European boar that quickly turned into quite the sprinkler system for the short time he was still upright after being perforated by one of my 9.3X74R DRs.

I would not recommend going light with a 9.3X74R. A friend of mine briefly owned a 7 1/2lb Sabatti that slapped him so hard (just two shots) he turned around and put it on GunBroker.com the same day.

When saying a "properly weighted" 9.3X74R I would think that most would agree that somewhere between 8 1/2lbs and 9 1/2lbs is a "comfortable" weight. My double rifle drilling runs closer to the high end and my three standard doubles run between 8 1/2lb and 9lbs. All are very comfortable and fun to shoot.

Of course Franz Albrecht does very well using a Sauer 202 7mm Remington Mag so ...

check out some of the videos made of his shooting the wildschwein ...

https://search.yahoo.com/search;_ylt=AgH...%20on%20youtube

Regards,

Mark

Contact Us NitroExpress.com