Nojden
(.275 member)
29/12/15 09:13 PM
Re: 7X65r double rifle for driven hunt?

Thanks for your replies, I agree about the advantage of big bore calibers when it comes to penetration and ability to crack heavy bones etc. The 9,3x74 is perhaps one of the most versatile cartridge for european big game in break open rifles - and its probably the most common caliber in double rifles on the second hand market where I live.

But a lot of new double rifles are chambered for 8x57irs - a caliber that is good enough for both boar, bear and moose, but with much less recoil than the 9,3x74. The 7x65r with a heavy bullet is more powerfull than the 8x57irs, on the paper. but Im aware of the advantages with larger calibers as I wrote above.

For me, the main reasons for choosing a double in 7x65r instead of the 8 and 9,3 mm would be:

-probably a lighter weapon
-cheaper on the second hand market
-low recoil compared to 9,3
-I allready have reloading dies, lots of cases and different bullets in 7mm
-to my experiences it works fine for all game I actually hunt at home.

The 9,3 on the contrary:
-lots of them in the second hand market
-Most recommended for european big game
-beautiful cartridge that fills the gap between 7mm and 45-70 in my collection of rifles.

Not sure yet, maybe I'll go for the double rifle I like best when looking around. And if its a used one but fits me well and regulates well, the caliber is perhaps not so important?

Contact Us NitroExpress.com