kuduae
(.400 member)
04/12/15 03:14 AM
Bought a 9.3x74R dr by Hübner, Darmstadt

Yesterday I bought my first hammerless double rifle, a fairly old German boxlock in 9.3x74R. Signed by Robert Hübner, Darmstadt, Hofbüchsenmachermeister = master gunsmithto the court (of Ernest Louis, Grand Duke of Hesse). The rifle was made in Suhl immediately after WW1, but proofed by the Zella-Mehlis proofhouse in April 1919. Suhl was in severe revolutionary troubles then, governed by a "red" soviet. The rifle is in excellent shape, inside and out, except a few easily repaired scratches to the wood, a period stock extension and a perished horn-rubber buttplate.
Barrel length is 60 cm = 23.5". Weight without scope 3.58 kg = 7.9 lbs. It's a non – ejector with a conventional Anson & Deeley type boxlock action, built on a former Suhl double rifle action with long watertable, not a shotgun action like today's Merkels. The barrels are of chopperlump construction. The lockup is by double underbolting plus a doll's head with Greener crossbolt. It has a well figured stock with quite classic lines and a horn triggerguard. It fits me like a glove. For the engraving, see the photos.
I will probably replace the stock extension with a red rubber pad. To the original dovetail scope mount bases I will hand – fit rings to mount an elderly Hensoldt "Diasta-D 4x" scope. An old Weaver K-2.5 in Talley rings works as an impromptu solution as well. Now it's time to start load development for the old girl to get it ready for the next hunting season. I am annoyed about it, but I have to use "unleaded" bullets, so I will try the 250gr Barnes in front of N140 first.
Any comments?

Contact Us NitroExpress.com