TonyD227
(.300 member)
29/11/15 09:12 AM
Re: Baikal Double Rifle in 45/70

I owned one and was not happy with the synch of the barrels

With the wheel I could get them right on top of one another but the elevation was out by over 10/15cm at 50M

The best groups I could get (still over 10cm out)were with 405gr cast projectiles over 13gr of Trail Boss.

I took it to a gun smith but he couldn't do anything for it. I got no love from the importer who bought them into Australia. I think a new importer has the licence now?

I get the feeling that the issue with them is consistency, there isn't any.

If your going to buy one make sure you do it from a reputable seller who will take it back if it is beyond the pale.

I have to admit however that it was fun to shoot (the guys were right, with heavier loads it kicks like a mule) and it got me hooked on DR shooting and started me reloading (that was necessary to find a load that worked).

I now have a Sabatti in 45-70 and it is chalk and cheese, as you would expect for a rifle more than 5 times the price.

If you have always wanted to own and shoot a DR and you can afford it buy the Baikal and have fun. Just don't expect to much and you wont be disappointed and may even be pleasantly surprised.

Contact Us NitroExpress.com