Flintfan
(.224 member)
11/08/15 09:21 PM
Re: 360 black powder express twist rate

Quote:

Definitely not a 360No.2 and from the looks of the chamber cast, not really rechambered to anything except that the throat has been reamed out cylindrically, which , of course, Flintfan had mentioned in the original post.
Seeing that now, I would try smoothing out the fore edge of the chamber lead and see what kind of accuracy you end up with. The rifling looks quite good downstream from the chamber.

I wonder if a previous owner experienced some slight ringing in the chambers and had them reamed out to clean them up(?)

Thanks again for the replies everyone. I had thought that the reaming might have been done to remove some chamber ringing, and that is a possibility. Due to the hack job of using a simple square end reamer though, I have a feeling it was done by a garage gunsmith to lengthen the chamber. This gun did come out of Canada, so it is possible the work was done in a remote area where function was more important than form in an attempt to use available ammunition. Regardless, it obviously needs some bore work done (along with some other minor issue to the other areas of the rifle) to bring it back into shooting condition, which was reflected in the price I got it for. Since the rifle is out of proof to begin with, I have no hesitations to having it lined back to original chamber specs.

I took some pics of the original proof marks for those interested.

Contact Us NitroExpress.com