3DogMike
(.400 member)
07/03/15 07:56 AM
Bullet for the Grant .577 BPE

For the Grant .577; just received my custom mould from "Brooks Moulds", Walkerville, Montana, USA. Steve Brooks' moulds are widely renowned amongst the Black Powder Cartridge Rifle shooters for their quality and precision workmanship.
This is a 480 grain Paper Patch Hollow Point cast from 1:30 tin/lead. My research leads me to believe that this very light weight 1873 vintage Stephen Grant was originally made to handle an early Eley-Boxer .577 3" coiled brass cartridge that was loaded with 5 Drams and a 480 grain bullet at about 1616'/sec or so.

I've test fired the rifle with NfB and that 550 grain solid lead bullet that you see to the left of the brass, now time to try the original period BPE load.
The 550 grain Paper Patch solid was sourced from "Buffalo Arms", Ponderay, Idaho, USA; it shot well with 59 grains H4198, Fed215, foam backer rod, and a card wad under the bullet. All paper patching is done with 100% rag onionskin weight paper about .002" thick and lubed with SPG black powder lube.
Load was not chronographed due to winter weather, will be done when we get a nice Spring day.

- Mike

[image][/image]

Contact Us NitroExpress.com