NitroXAdministrator
(.700 member)
07/01/15 05:29 PM
Re: Speed Test--Double vs Bolt Rifle..per RIFLE SHOOTER Mag

Seventh post and finally read the advertisement for a shooting school, oops article.

Quote:

“If you take a shooter that fires a gun with their weight on their back leg or from a neutral stance they’re not going to be fast with any big gun, bolt or double,” Monty says. “You have to have an aggressive stance with your weight forward so that the gun doesn’t push you off balance.” Learning to improve stance makes you faster with any hard-kicking rifle that you shoot from an off-hand position, and it reduces muzzle rise.

Yep they should learn how to shoot.

Quote:

“Most shooters do better with a bolt gun immediately because that’s what they’re used to shooting,” Monty says. “They understand the mechanics. That doesn’t mean they won’t be able to shoot a double well, but they need to learn proper mechanics for shooting a double rifle, which are different than a bolt-action.”
For the shooter that is very skilled with both rifle types and has been trained to quickly shoot both a double and a bolt gun, Monty says that the double typically has a speed advantage for the second shot, but that’s assuming you have a shooter who has trained extensively with both guns and who has the proper stance and handles recoil effectively. Such shooters are very rare, and for the majority of the shooting public, our personal skill sets make us faster with one rifle type.
I fully understand this because I attended Monty’s school myself. Because I have shot many, many more bolt guns than double rifles, I was naturally slower with a double. Simply put, the mechanics weren’t there, and I needed help from a professional to help me walk through the process and learn the proper technique.

... maybe they should just try shooting a side by side or under and over shotgun on clays. Other than recoil, and the need to aim with a rifle, same 'mechanics'. Some time on clays would mean no need to pay for a shooting course.

Quote:

I can consistently deliver two aimed shots with my .450-400 Nitro Express Heym double in 1.1 seconds, but it’s rare that I can touch 2 seconds for two shots with my .500 Nitro Express Heym.”

Doesn't the same apply to say a .416 Remington and a .500 Jeffery? See my earlier comment on a thread about recoil and "logic".

Quote:

“Another thing to remember about doubles is that, even if you’re faster on the second shot, you’re also faster to an empty gun,” he says. “Most dead hunters that are found after being killed by dangerous game have empty rifles."

What a silly statement. I thought the writer was talking about "aimed" shots.

And the fact is a made up "statistic" anyway.

Quote:

No matter which action you choose, learning proper technique and practicing often is the key to saving your life.

Yep every safari is a death defying, facing black death charges experience, so this shooting school is a must before a safari.

Enjoyed my seventh post rant.

Contact Us NitroExpress.com