DUGABOY1
(.400 member)
09/11/14 09:25 AM
Re: Sabatti Double Rifles, Brickbats & Bouquets

Quote:

Hello,

I am late to the party here but was the first to publish my findings over on AR.
I had a 500NE EJ serial # CAB00278.
I bought it new at Cabelas.
When I purchased it I did not study the muzzle crowns in depth, as it was a new gun.

The regulation target showed two shots side by side about 0.8" apart and the words "Final Tuning"
No other holes on the paper.

I bought 2 boxes of the regulation load, Hornady DGX 570 gr.

I shot it in the winter with snow on the ground at 28 Degrees at 29 and 62 yards, two shooters.
Best it would do was 4 inches spread most were 6".
Next was in january in Texas, 60 degrees.
Another 20 rounds and this time several shooters, 8" spread at 45 yds.
Right and left barrels had excellent composite groups, one ragged hole and a cloverleaf.
Exactly 4" right and left of the dot perfect height.

Upon further study the muzzles were found to be ground at 3 and 9 Oclock.
Cabelas was excellent and offered a replacement, upon opening this new gun it was also ground on both barrels this time towards the rib, exact oposite of the first (Serial CAB 00436 )
The target showed many holes and a circle around 2 shots with the words "Final Tuning" there was about 1" of verticle stringing on this target.
I opted for a miss and a full refund.

I feel that disclosure of the methods used up front would have made a difference, however the gun has to shoot and the original target and gun did not perform as advertised.
I can only speculate that the regulation method, is particularly sensative,to the natural production variation of velocity in the Hornady ammo.

I had pictures of the crowns but after the whole affair I deleted them and moved on.

Thanks
Nitro

Gentlemen I was present at Nitro's shooting of that Sabatti in Texas and it was exactly as he said. I shot that rifle as well, and it did not regulate at all in my opinion, and Nitro was smart in getting a full refund on that rifle. Many others have done the same, but in all fairness a few have gotten rifles that shoot properly but I consider that just luck. I would not buy a Sabatti double rifle, and I've owned two Merkels for several years without a problem.

Contact Us NitroExpress.com