A10ACN
(.300 member)
30/01/05 10:13 AM
Re: W.J. Jeffery History

As an owner of a W.J. Jeffery 450 No.2, I've been following this thread with interest. All of y'all's scratchin and finger pointin finally motivated me to pull my rifle out of the safe. Now, my rifle is the typical pre-war, gaur/buffalo/bison engraved, scalloped back action, Jeffery. It has 24 inch Krupp steel bbls, 1 and 4 lvs. The only thing a little different about it is the 'Made Expressly For Lyon and Lyon, Calcutta' engraved on the bbls along with the 13 King Street St James, Jeffery Address. Obviously a Leonard built gun for Jeffery and retailed for Lyon and Lyon in India. Right?? Well, after looking for the Leonard 4 digit number that Rusty mentioned, I grabbed the copy of the ledger that Paul Roberts was able to provide for me. Imagine my surprise when I looked on the ledger and saw Turner as the only builder of my rifle (#16444). The same goes for the other rifles on the page, all top lever A/D DBs (#16441-16450, all 450 No.2s, 400 Ss, and 1 400/360. Dates-June 1906-June 1907(1).
I've even told people that my rifle was a Leonard built rifle-all scalloped backs were, right???? Wrong, again, it seems!!!! Sorry no pic capability.
A10ACN

Contact Us NitroExpress.com