Watson577
(.300 member)
29/08/14 08:53 AM
Re: Alexander Henry 8 bore Double Rifle.

TH44,

This rifle has a twist rate of 1:53". That has a lot to do with the amount of recoil that you see and this along with the 1250 grain bullet I think, explains the difference. With 9-drams of Goex Olde Eynesford FFg powder, the barrels are still crossing by about 5-1/2" at 50 yards so more powder will be required--probably 10 or 11 drams. I did a poor job of shooting this rifle but Curl shot it four times and produced two useable right/lefts. I don't get punished nearly as much as Curl and my shoulder wasn't even sore after shooting eight 8-dram cartridges, ten 9-dram cartridges and two 10-dram cartridges. I must be flinching or doing something else wrong though. I'm going to tame this beast eventually! If you shoot anything that kicks hard, invest in a Shooter's Friend slip-on recoil pad from Cabelas--those work very well.

- Jim

PS: I shot some grease grooved 1400 grain hollow-point bullets with 9-drams of Swiss 1-1/2 and that was positively brutal! It felt like the butt was being driven 2" deep into my shoulder and I could only stand to shoot four of those from a standing position. What you see in those videos is positively mild compared to those things!

Contact Us NitroExpress.com