BwanaBob
(.300 member)
24/08/14 08:28 PM
Re: Sabatti Double Rifles, Brickbats & Bouquets

While I realise that I am a bit of a 'late comer' to this discussion, I just had to add my 2 cents worth. Some of what follows is from my answer to a similar thread on another forum and I have just cut and paste my comments here, and modified it slightly, rather than regurgitate the same info.

I have a Sabatti Model 92 in .450 NE that I purchased from Cabelas, in Texas, and imported into Australia. The muzzles of my rifle are perfect and haven't had the grinding treatment that some owners have described.

With factory Hornady ammo, this gun will print both barrels into about 1.5" @ 50 yards. Some time back, I shot a charging animal match with this rifle. Charging animal is 2 shots on a 50metre slow fire pistol target at 75yds, 2 shots at 50yds and 2 shots at 25yds with a time limit of 35 seconds, from the standing position. The 75yd target had right and left impacts 2" apart and just above the centre of the target. At 50yrds the impacts were about 5" apart, straddling the centre of the target (and this was my poor shooting and not the rifle's fault) and at 25yds both right and left printed so close together that the two holes were really just one elongated hole and just marginally below the centre.

So, who says Sabatti doubles don't shoot?! I have owned a number of doubles, over the years, and the only double I have owned that shot that well was a Chapuis Brousse in .470 which cost me about three times the price of the Sabatti. I would still like to buy a high-grade double but, for the time being, the Sabatti will be in my gunsafe for a long time to come and the money that I would have spent on a high grade gun will pay for more hunting.

It may be that buying a Sabatti is a bit of a lottery, at least that is what the negative reports would indicate. However, I know of two (2) other Sabatti .450NE rifles, here in Oz, and both of their owners have had similar results to me and are very happy with their Sabattis.

I am now in the market for a Sabatti in 9.3x74R as a companion for my .450NE.

Contact Us NitroExpress.com