NitroXAdministrator
(.700 member)
19/08/14 06:40 PM
Re: Double rifles with shotgun barrels

I am really a dummkopf. After posting the question I remembered I have one myself.

Probably did not consider it as it is an U/O and not a good one. I was thinking side by sides. Also a different future gun completely.

My double rifle with shotgun barrels, actually also has a second set of DR barrels and two combination sets. I bought the gun with 9.3x74R dr barrels and the shotgun barrels. Then later added the other three sets, a .30-06 dr set, which may get converted to .30 Super one day, just because. And combination sets in 12 gauge and .223 and 7x65R.

The gun is a Tikka 512 SD, the DR open sights on the U/O 9.3x74R are aweful and next to useless. I would like to find something to replace them with. So it wears a scope in Valmet QD mounts. The but stock seems OK with a scope. The dr is a real compromise and not very good but usable. It is actually very accurate. The barrels are self adjustable. I have had a problem with its regulation "changing" in the past, during a hunt, so had to use it as a single shot, with a second barrel for close shots as needed.

It is setup with a single seectable trigger. I have purchased a replacement two trigger setup but it needs to be fitted. The single trigger is quite good. I hope the two trigger setup will not be lesser.

The shotgun barrelled setup is more than fine and it shoots well. U/O configuration. Removable chokes which is versatile and my only shotgun with changeable chokes. The stocking is fine for shotgunning. I dislike the forend, its catch is not good enough, I have had the forend come off while shooting it more than two times.

The other barrel sets are gathering dust. Need some minor fitting. I purchased them to ensure they were in hand. Need a good gunsmith closer to home than interstate. Will check out one SA guy who is said to be good. Usually gunsmiths have long lead times and this gun/rifle is used quite a lot. Have to just bite the bullet and send them off for ## months or # years!

Put together a long list last night of gunsmithing needs and this thread has added two! The double trigger, dr barrel sights and forend catch.

Contact Us NitroExpress.com