rigbymauser
(.400 member)
28/07/14 05:27 AM
Re: Holland & Holland .577/500 Magnum

yesterday I went shooting the gun and had time to experiment. It was very hot in the weather and shooting the rifle made the barrels blistering..

Just before my first shots .

Here the target. I tried at 25 paces offhand first to see if the gun was within minut-of-barndoor.
My very two first shots was on the left target. The last two shot then went right..printing too much to the left. Bare in mind that thisis the first time I actually got this thing going..

After four shots I couldnīt hold unto the barrels.

My load was 70grain Vithavouri 130 + 16mm backerrod as filler. Bullet was 505grain solid and 480grain hollowpoint. Velocity Vo= 532 m/sec regardsless of bullet weight.The shot-to-shot variation was only 7 m/sec(23ft/sec)from both barrels. So the barrels seems to be equal perfect.

Moving on to 80 paces with a 445grain solid my two shots went a little high. I was using shootingstics and rested the rifle directly:

My NeXT two shots using shootingstics the gun were a littlemore "Loose"

The bertram brass I am using is very soft. Some cases couldn`t hold on to the leadbullet and therefore were a Little loose. The RCBS dies I was using squeezes the neck soo much I thought it was meant to shoot .475cal bullets.
I will be ordering Horneber cases and may order a new set of dies. The most importing thing is this that this rifle has potential.

Another good H&H.500express join in too..

Contact Us NitroExpress.com