Marrakai
(.416 member)
24/01/05 11:55 PM
Re: W.J. Jeffery History

470R:

In reply to:

My curiosity is why the Jefferey "Prowling Tiger" rifles are singled out for this this title? If a significant number can be shown to have different origins, then surely that puts the lie to this particular notion?

Ask yer father for a lesson in manners, mate. No liars here! I certainly didn't invent the term 'Maharajah Guns' to describe Jeffery's 'prowling tigers' boxlocks, the monica has been around for decades, and will be around for many more. I simply responded to your query. Not much point in burring up over the answer!

If anyone here can demonstrate that Jeffery sold 'prowling tiger' boxlocks to customers other than Indian royalty, this would certainly be a contribution, but we are unlikely to ever discover the names of original purchasers of Jeffery's rifles. My understanding is that the surviving ledgers do not contain that information, but I would be very happy to be wrong on this!

470R:
Regarding your last post, I think you may be deliberately mis-leading here with your account of continental guns bought by Maharajas.

Your example shows an East German gun marketed by Mantons, a British firm in India, and finished in the British style! The fact is that this speaks volumes about the entrepreneurial spirit of the Manton firm, and says nothing about gun-preferences of the Maharajahs. Manton was happy to source his wares from all and sundry, but the buyer of such an arm could hardly have been 'anti-British', or he would not have been shopping at Mantons!

Here's another example belonging to a mate: crown over 'U' Suhl inspection mark clearly visible on the flats, but finished in the best English style (and probably sold without drawing attention to the actual country of origin!).

...and no matter who Duleep Singh may have 'gotten in to bed with' in the late 1880's, he invariably preferred British guns to the grave!

pwm: reply PM coming your way, with thanks!

Contact Us NitroExpress.com