NitroXAdministrator
(.700 member)
12/07/14 04:28 PM
Re: Double dilemma !! Heym Vs VC

This recent thread may also help.

http://forums.nitroexpress.com/showflat.php?Cat=0&Number=249230&page=0&vc=1#Post249230

I would definitely handle both rifles. The pistol grip is quite different in each of those rifles. Both have a semi-beavertail forend. The V-C a bit less.

I can't see the engraving on the Heym much, but the V-C appears better engraved.

The two cartridges/chamberings are quite different. A major decision for the choice. The .500 NE is more powerful and a great elephant round. Maybe too much for a lot of North American hunting. A .450 may have a lot more projectiles to choose from. Still a hard hitter on elephant. Also you might use it in Canada too for bear or moose, plus whatever. I use my .450 on pigs for example. Of course a .500 could be used on any of these as well.

The Heym is 1 1/2 lbs heavier but that is probably good for a .500. 11 lbs is a good weight for a .450.

The Heym looks like it has been ordered with non-standard changes which improve it IMO over the standard 88B. But I would have to check it compared to some other photos.

The Verney-Carron is very nice.

Tough choice to make.

Contact Us NitroExpress.com