Ripp
(.577 member)
26/04/14 02:34 AM
Re: Mono metal bullet Cape buffalo penetration from a .500 NE

I as well have taken 3 cape buffalo --all three with a .416 Rem. using Swift A-Frames for my fist shot followed up by Barnes Solids..was shooting 400 grs at around 2400fps..

had one swift on a side shot of about 60 yards blow through and out the other side..on another hit it with a soft..it ran, I fired 3 more in the s end headed north..2 were under the hide by the neck and one went completely through..

You will be fine with what you are using..Barnes are great bullets IMHO.. I have never has an issue with them...I have heard of some issues but never experienced them myself. Personally I would not download them anymore than necessary to get similar POI with the two you are using..just make sure the off side is clear and pull the trigger..I like to hear that good solid smack of lots of metal and power on the hide as the bullet hits..buffalo are tough..very tough...give them all you got and once down, give them more..

Have a great time..and as stated..DO NOT take long shots on them..closer is better..nothing over 100 and preferably much closer..mine ranged from about 30-60yds..give or take.

Ripp

Contact Us NitroExpress.com