CptCurlAdministrator
(.450 member)
19/01/05 03:33 PM
Re: Double rifle values?

Astor,

I don't take your question to be nosey, but it is practically impossible to answer, because I don't know of a Woodward double rifle being offered for sale at this time. They are certainly rare, and to find one in this condition is unusual, I think. Frankly, this is the only Woodward double rifle I have ever seen, though I don't claim to be an expert on the subject. However, I do go to a lot of high-end gun shows looking at double rifles.

Search the market. Look at these websites:

Holland & Holland:

H&H

Purdey:

Purdey

Westley Richards:

Westley Richards

Roosevelt & Drake:

Drake

Champlain Arms:

Champlin

Fred Roberts:

Fred Roberts

John Foster:

John Foster

Connecticut Shotgun Manufacturing Co.:

Galazan

These are some of the dealers who offer best quality double rifles. You can find what you are looking for there.

The more I dabble in double rifles, the more convinced I am that there is no set market for them. Each one is unique, unless you are dealing in the realm of Searcy, Merkel, Chapuis, Kreighoff, etc. Best quality guns are singular items, and each must be evaluated for what it is. They are works of art from a bygone era that will never be offered again. How does one put a price on that? The buyer must go with his guts and instincts. Pricewise, the numbers get rather large, so the market is not for the faint of heart.

The point I am trying to make is that buying a best gun is not like buying a Ford or Chevrolet. With the car you can shop many dealers that will offer the identical car at their price. You take the best offer and have your car.

You will never find a series of gun dealers that will have in stock identical best quality double rifles. There is no such thing. You don't see a Woodward in one store and then run next door to check the price on the other guy's Woodward. It won't be there.

I know this is not a direct answer, but the market is out there for anybody to study. The internet has given all of us the ability to search for these priceless items on a global basis. If a best gun comes to market in Australia, or in England, or in the USA, or in Canada, in all likelihood it will appear on a prominent website for the whole world to see. You simply must look and learn.

Good luck in your search,
CptCurl

Contact Us NitroExpress.com