mehulkamdar
(.416 member)
13/01/05 03:05 PM
Re: Damascus Barreled Rifles

Erik D,

A lot of the old Damascus barreled shotguns are still in use in India more than a hundred years after they were made despite the damp and dust that all guns in India are subjected to. Hardly any of them seemed to need any extra rust protection compared to the later "conventional" barrels. I think the suspicions about Damascus barrels in the Nitro era were because of concerns about their strength but if Damasteel and Flodman could offer their guns with Damascus barrels today, I must presume that they are amply strong. Until I saw the Brno website, I did not know that any rifles had been made with Damascus barrels though Per Billgren had told me that his company did have steel to make rifle barrels with.

I have never shot a Damascus gun but those who did always seemed to comment that they sounded quieter than non damascus ones because the shot did not "ring" off the barrels. Perhaps one of the experienced members here who ahs a Damascus shotgun or rifle could tell us about it. No idea what the barrels would do on rifles except look really beautiful, but then, I guess, that is reason enough.

Good hunting!

Contact Us NitroExpress.com