doubleriflejack
(.333 member)
27/12/13 06:02 AM
Re: Sabatti Double Rifles, Brickbats & Bouquets

Alberta: "the opening lever would only swing to about center when the bbls were off then stop. This meant that as the gun wore in to center I could not be sure the lugs were being engaged all the way, it felt like there was something holding the lever/lugs from traveling fully forwards. I did not like this so I took the action apart and found that there was a bit of metal on the lever stop I needed to remove to get the lugs to have their full travel. I did this and now the lever will travel to the left when the bbls are removed"

I have four Sabatti double rifles, deluxe versions, .450.400, and up in caliber; no .45-70 or 9.3 of the base model. I did quite a lot of custom work on all of mine, including what Alberta mentions above, which I think is a common minor problem with Sabatti doubles. As Alberta mentions, the top lever, with no barrels attached to rifle, should sit slightly left of center, which all of mine now do, as does Alberta's. Such an "adjustment" is not essential, but certainly makes a good sound double rifle even better. All of mine show good regulation; none of them have any muzzle rifling grinding/filing issues, such as we all have seen with SOME, not all, of the early ones imported. When Sabatti rifles were first imported by the USA Florida importer, for Cabelas stores, they started out with serial numbers being stamped under top levers; that was later changed to serial numbers with a "CAB" prefix (meaning Cabelas), followed by the serial number, starting with single or double digits; but NOT stamped under top lever; now the latest Sabatti serial numbers are over 900, so I am quite sure that somewhat slightly over 1000 were imported into America alone. Further, I am reasonably sure that the muzzle rifling grinding was done very early on with SOME of the doubles; not all of the early ones. Based on the rather limited number of Sabatti rifles I have shot, and watched being shot, I would say that a minority of them may have questionable regulation that could be improved, but the majority of them seem to be reasonably to well regulated. No other mechanical problems I am aware of, have come to light to any extent.

Contact Us NitroExpress.com