granhaven
(.224 member)
03/12/13 02:51 AM
Re: On the subject of European big game and premium bullets.

Quote:

I do not have personal experience with the Woodleighs in .375", but I have seen the 286gr Weldcore 9,3mm exspand willingly even with 9,3x57 velocity. For what you are looking for driven hunts you should might consider the Brenneke TUG. For Buffalo I guess the standard Weldcore .375" 300gr is too soft, after the Informations I have heard and seen.

You state that you find it difficult to shoot the second barrel for game nummer two if you havnet seen the first one roll. To my etichs you should never shoot the last bullet to a fresh game! The meaning of a doubles is the quick follow up shot....

What you describe after the shots in Poland I would personatly not find acceptabel! Every shot taken should be controlled with tracking dogs, polish hunting organiseres will not learn this etichs unless you as a Hunters (read customer) demands it.

DvK

I Do live in Poland, part time, and have done so for the last 20+ years, I speak fluent Polish and hunt exclusively with my Polish Hunting friends in our OWN hunting districts that we have managed since the great war. I don’t make the rules; just tell how the Polish Hunting tradition IS and what implications this make on my requirements for the bullet performance.

For the same reason I prefer a Round Nose bullet that is fairly stable after hitting a tree, stone or frozen soil, I don’t like the noise from my neighbor on a driven hunt if a bullet passes to close after a ricochet.
A double rifle is not for a quick follow up shot. It is EITHER for a quick follow up shot OR a second boar or deer. By the way I always have two extra cartridges in my left hand and can reload quicker than most bolt action rifle men and have managed to shoot a third boar...
(I have never seen a gentlemen shooting high pheasants, not using the second barrel on pheasant number two...)

I always have my own "tracking dog" (sweiss hund) with me, and quite often spend Monday after our two day driven hunt checking the leftovers.

My concern here is that the bullets I have tested in cal 375 FLANGED were simply too hard and unwilling to expand on the European big game in Poland. I have, over the years, shoot more than 600 deer and boar with a 9 gram Sellier & Bellot in 7x65R, presumably the worst bullet there is on the market. But it works very well on a driven hunt and I am looking for a similar bad / soft alternative that will work at the limited speed that my 375 FLANGED is comfortable with.

Anything, cal 7mm, .30 or .375 put thru the "engine" on a boar or deer will kill it, that is not the question. The question here is how quick, and how visible. On boar, at least the once I have seen, the only way that they will drop dead is when hit in the spine or brain, otherwise they will keep running. Boars on a driven hunt are in alert and the adrenalin is pumping so you can’t compare the reaction to boar shot when having a nap or during dinner.
A bolt rifle with 200-500 fps higher speed produces significantly higher impact energy and will create a completely different picture with the SAME bullet, than the 2400 fps that I hope to obtain..

Contact Us NitroExpress.com