bluedevil
(.224 member)
08/01/05 12:16 PM
Re: W.J. Jeffery History

Keith here: Have a great trip, Rusty. Hi 400 Nitro. My Jeffery does not have a third fastener and it weighs 9 pounds, perhaps a few ounces less. I have handled one 333 Jeffery that probably weighed 10 pounds, it had the stalking tigers and was flat or straight across the back of the action. I have found, as a rule, that Jefferys with the type of scaplloped action mine has are a little trimmer than the same caliber in the 3rd quality rifle that has the straight across the back action and the simple tiger or guar engraving. Perhaps the latter, being less inexpensive, were built on more standard frames, the 333 being built, say, on the same frame as a 450/400. In any case, mine is defintely built on a frame scaled down for the cartridge. By contrast, I have handled a couple 318 Westley Richards, both droplocks, that weighed 10 pounds 6 ounces and 10 pounds 8 ounces respectively. One of them is presently being offered by Westley Richards American store in Bozeman, Montana, which is where I live. Now what is the point of a 318 that weights 10 and half pounds? Keith
PS I'm not sure which issue my article was in, but I'll dig through the stacks and try to find it. In it I featured my 333 and my friends 450/400 with the stalking tigers engraving.

Contact Us NitroExpress.com