buckstix
(.400 member)
22/10/13 10:29 PM
Re: Eduard Kettner 9x58R Double Rifle - New Addition - Questions

Hello all,

Well, I went out and did some shooting with the Kettner. Not a real tight group, but very good considering that I am still fire-forming the cases that I manufactured from 303 British.

The scope I installed is a Weaver 2-1/2 power w/ a Post-Cross-Hair reticle. Its a nice clear vintage scope and 2-1/2 power is perfect for a fast handling small caliber rifle. I had to make a set of ring/shims because the rings were German 27mm dia. (1.061") and the scope has a 1" dia tube.

Recoil was very modest, being about the same as a 30-30 carbine with heavy bullets. Ballistics are very similar to that of a 35 Remington. I'm sure the groups will get tighter as I develop a proper load.

Here's something that came as "real surprise" to me. Since this rifle has set-triggers for both triggers, I thought I would try setting them to see how that went.

Here's what I learned; NEVER - NEVER - NEVER, set BOTH triggers of a double rifle! When you do this, the recoil from the first shot, drops the "hair-sear" of the second trigger. This resulted in getting 400 grains of recoils as both barrels fire simultaneously, at the same time.

It scared the heck out of me, and I don't have a clue where the 2 shots went as I fired into a different target that I used for fire-forming the brass. Believe me, I won't do that again!

I'll be updating as I develop heavier loads. Next I'm going to try 220g and 250g bullets. One thing is for sure, this double rifle is a lot of fun to shoot.

Also, I picked up a nice new Browning case at our last gun show. This makes a nice set-up for the Kettner.

Contact Us NitroExpress.com