470Rigby
(.333 member)
07/01/05 09:44 AM
Re: W.J. Jeffery History

Keith,

Very interesting! All these different styles of Jeffery's!

For the benefit of other members, do you have any photos that you could post? Also,it could be quite illuminating if you had some copies of original Jeffey Ledger entries? That might shed some light on who actually made the rifles mentioned, ? Or at least Serial Number ranges?

So far, all we have is NE450No2's rifle that was made by Edwinson Green which has the so-called "Leonard Style" action back (pointedly ignored by some othe posters!),
and a .475 No.2 in the same style that is purportedly by Leonard.

In fact, I reckon we should get a "Jeffery Double Rifle Gallery" going! How about it Nitrox?

To kick things off, here are a couple of different style Jeffery's that I once owned;

Firstly, a late model .333 Flanged NE in the S/N 255XX range;

Note the "round" action body. I have a mate with a late .333 that is completely different, and looks to be of European origin. I will attempt to get a photo of this rifle.

And an an early, presumably "Pre-Leonard" .577x31/4" BPE double in the S/N 4XXX range;

Note the "scalloped" action back, a la "Leonard"?, and the distinctly different shape of the balls of the action!

BTW - The "primary rifle" photo shown in Tate's book (pp86) is a shotgun, and is a dead ringer for a Jeffery Shotgun of mine. But note the asymmetrical shape of the scalloped action back - quite different to that found on Jeffery rifles that have such "fancy" backs.

Contact Us NitroExpress.com