470Rigby
(.333 member)
06/01/05 02:23 PM
Re: W.J. Jeffery History

Rusty,
Your original post said

In reply to:

On the copy of the Jeffery records I have seen at Champlin Firearms, almost all of the barrelled actions were acquired from Leonard. Page after page listed Leonard.

My point was that, at least in the early days of his business, Jeffery was primarily an assembler of parts, who then sent them to a finisher. His Order Ledgers simply itemise the breakdown of costs for parts (actions/barrels/sights/furniture, etc.)and final assembly (including actioning/stocking/regulating etc.) or in other words, finishing.

If Leonard is listed in ledger entries that you have seen as a supplier of "barreled actions"; who is listed as the finisher? If Jeffery bought the whole lot "lock, stock and barrel" as a finished rifle from Leonard then surely the ledgers would show that, and not itemise the "barrelled action"?

Of course it is possible that Leonard bought barrels from Krupps and actioned them before selling them on to Jeffery, but that seems unlikely. It also begs the question - who finished them if Leonard didn't?

We do know that Jeffery was a major customer of Krupps since many ledger entries specifically mention that; even giving the cost. I think that is not illogical to assume that Jeffery bought in "tubes" as they are referred to for shotgun and rifle barrels, and passed them on to a finisher.

As I have tried to point out in my previous posts, if the origins of Jeffery's double rifles is an issue that needs resolving, then there has to be a distinction drawn between the various contibutors to the final product.

Since many "Jeffery" double rifles (and rifles signed by other retailers) carry a 4-digit number on the barrels (Wal Winfer describes this as a "maker's control number" which had exceeded 2000 by the 1930's), this would seem to suggest that they might would have been applied by the finisher, rather than the action or barrel supplier, who may not neccessarily have been one and the same?

A page from Jeffery's 1908 Order Ledger exclusively devoted to Shotguns in the Serial Number range 20041-50, simply lists Leonard under the "Made by and Date" column, thus indicating that they were bought in fully finished. Note this is contemporary with the the rifle Ledger that I posted in which Turner is given as his finisher. Perhaps the later "Post-Turner" entries for double rifles say the same thing, indicating that they were similarly bought in fully finished, rather than as "barrelled actions"?

Perhaps this is now becoming an exercise in pedantry, and we are getting confused about the role of the various people in Jeffery's supply chain?

Personally, I'm getting to the point of not giving a "rat's arse" one way or the other!

Contact Us NitroExpress.com