Seancass
(.224 member)
12/09/13 09:35 PM
Re: let's talk about Sabatti

A little back story:

I went to cabela's yesterday to fondle the three sabatti's they had in stock, 45-70's, used and new, and a 450/400. While i was there, i had to check out a few other doubles as well. The prices were about 2.8, 3.2 and 6k, respectively. The 45-70's seemed nice. The finish was a little faded on the used model. Otherwise fit and finish looked good. On the new 45, you could see the joints at the muzzle where the barrels and ribs come together. I felt like that should be seamless. They seemed to balance well amd fit me alright. I've never had a custom fit gun, but i was looking down the sights when i shouldered it. The 400 had noticeably more weight, and it felt more muzzle heavy. A feature i suspect i would appreciate if i shot it! I'm not considering the 400 for purchase, just for comparison. If someone has an opinion on it, I'll have a feel of it for reference.

I guess we could add a third category for judging the Sabattis: as a double rifle. I suspect some will have the opinion that its an alright rifle, decent enough quality, but in the world of double rifles, its the bottom of the barrel, so to speak.

Thanks for any input!

Edited to add:

Both the 45-70's had gorgeous wood! I mean, best grade walnut, simply stunning! Then it clicked in my head, it was TOO good. I'm sure it's some kind of laminate, or even a polymer. I think it's called Opti-wood? If anyone has more information on this, I'd like to know more. Google didn't tell me much.

Contact Us NitroExpress.com