kuduae
(.400 member)
09/08/13 10:07 PM
Re: Not sure about what to think about this one

This double rifle is even better than I thought! When I typed the post above I had only the crappy auction photos to look at. Regarding the "light" .303 Savage chambering: elsewhere on this forum there is a thread by a member, contemplating to have a double rifle in .30-30 built by Chapuis, iirc. The only advantage over this Belgian dr would be the ready availability of factory fodder. The French maker will be pressed hard to achieve the quality and handling of this humble Belgian rifle. And, having such a special order rifle made will set the future owner back several times as much as buckstix paid for this rifle.
IMHO the distracting stock carving was custom added after the rifle arrived in America, as it shows a caribou. Stock carvings were rarely done in Liege. A cheekpiece is completely unnecessary on such a light rifle. Personally, I have no use for cheekpieces anyhow, as my face touches only an area about one inch wide on the comb, except on very thick cheekpieces like those on Schützenrifle stocks, clumsy looking on a hunting gun.
Jean Falla, Liege, was a barrelmaker who used several marks to denote different steels they used. The eagle's head denoted compressed steel by the Belgian Cockerill steelworks near Liege. Here is an ad from the interwar years:

Contact Us NitroExpress.com