kuduae
(.400 member)
09/08/13 07:27 AM
Re: Not sure about what to think about this one

Nordmann, does a double rifle made by the Birmingham guntrade gain reliability just because it was send by Pople & Sons to London and sold there as a second grade "Holland & Holland"? Or a Liege, Belgium made dr because it was sold in London as a W.J.Jeffery? Granted, the Liege guntrade made lots of cheap guns for the colonial and mail-order market, but they also made numbers of very nice and reliable guns for the upper end of the market. Fabriques d'armes unies de Liege S.A. was a cooperative of many small gunmakers and served both ends of the market. Up to the 1960s they offered their "Centaure" Colt Navy copies, very much sought after now by muzzleloader shooters because of their quality which is even better than Colt's 1860s. IMHO fools buy guns for the "name", knowing men rate guns by their inherent quality. Even the "name" British makers sold common junk, especially during the hard post-WW2 years. Recently I refused an offer to buy an original Rigby .275 bolt action for a mere Euro 500.-. Though it had the posh Rigby engraving it was built postwar on an ex-military 98k action with a clumsy stock, definitely not to the maker's pre-war standards. Well, the Mauser, Oberndorf factory was no more… And I remember a Holland & Holland .375 rifle of the same period. An Enfield P14 action, light alloy magazine box, checkering cut lopsided…
IMHO here we have a classic example of a gun not seen by a lot of fools because it has no "Name" and is advertized chambered for a pipsqueak obsolete cartridge. A rifle made by the same men, only say in .450-400 and inscribed with the Jeffery, London address would certainly have attracted many more bidders.
From the photos I rate this dr well above average boxlock dr quality, be them made in Birmingham, Liege, Suhl or elsewhere. Just look at the scroll-back action body and how it is stocked to the fences. I have never seen such a boxlock before. It takes a very skilled stocker to head up such a stock.

Contact Us NitroExpress.com