CptCurlAdministrator
(.450 member)
05/08/13 09:38 PM
Re: Zanardini Oxford 470 N.E. double?

I just looked at Osprey's site. The Evans looks pretty good other than the cosmetic pitting on the left side. The bores are described as near perfect. The price is pretty good and seems to account for the pitting. I would want to make double sure the action is tight on the face as the Webley actions aren't the easiest to rejoint. The pin is not replaceable.

He's not showing the barrel flats and doesn't say if it is chambered for the 3" or the 3.25" case. My guess would be 3.25", but that's just an (un)educated guess. The 3" Jeffery case is now considered the "modern" one, but the 3.25" case is just as good and is the "original" .450/.400 NE. I've never owned a 3" example, but have 3 rifles in the 3.25" configuration.

The weight is perfect.

Extractors, not ejectors. But that's not a bad thing. It actually saves some money on the rifle and keeps you from chasing your brass all over the place.

The original maker's case is a plus.

There's a lot of value there. I can think of a couple of sites where the price of this gun would be $5k to $10k higher. Assuming there is a little room to negotiate, a great deal can be had on this rifle.

This rifle could be a fine entry into the ownership of double rifles. It won't be your last!

Curl

Contact Us NitroExpress.com