CptCurlAdministrator
(.450 member)
30/07/13 09:36 PM
Re: Borovnik .300WinMag DR Questions and Valuation (Pic heavy!)

I'm no historian and not an expert on Austrian doubles, but I do own a first rate double by Ludwig Borovnik. I also own a double by Josef Winkler chambered in .300 Win. Mag. Both rifles are very well made and very accurate.

The Borovnik, chambered in .375 H&H Mag., is very best quality and highly embellished. A few photos will illustrate:

The Winkler .300 Win. Mag. is not as fancy but equally well-made. It is about the same grade rifle as yours.

Like yours, it has chopper lump barrels and ejectors. Mine fires 220 grain RN bullets with deadly accuracy, placing two rights and two lefts in 1.25" at 100 yards.

Your scope is a later addition to your rifle, as was mine. This may affect your barrel regulation and may make it more happy with heavier bullets as the mass of the barrel and scope assembly is greater than the original mass of the barrel assembly alone. Don't hesitate to try the .220 RN Hornady. You will be lucky if your rifle likes them. It is wonderful in a DR.

My Borovnik .375 is superbly accurate. It has no surprises in its preference for bullets: it was regulated for 300 grains.

Those with English tastes do not favor Continental doubles. They turn their noses at scoped doubles and those chambered for rimless or belted cartridges. They refuse to admit that a DR can be made to handle something like a .300 Win. Mag. While I am a great fan of the traditional English style and even prefer it, I am enough of a realist to accept what I see. These rifles do what they were made to do and do it well. There are still a number of makers who produce DRs in .300 Win. Mag.

My Winkler has proven itself in the field on a number of occasions.

Curl

Contact Us NitroExpress.com