Buchsemann
(.333 member)
25/07/13 01:25 AM
Re: Plains game double?

Many of you have had way more experience than I have, thus far, with shooting DRs at long range but I'll add two cents. The first shot out of either a double or a bolt, when properly sighted in for such to be spot on, is IMHO the same. The second shot with the double is all about regulation and time between shots; the bolt can have its issues as well. I'm sure many "out there" have experienced shot creep with their bolt guns when going from a cold barrel to a warm barrel in just a couple shots. Being a collector as well I do not like to alter anything from factory so if, for example and is the case with a couple of my pre-64 Winchester Model 70s, there appears to be a pinch point in the barrel bedding one just needs to be aware of such and adjust accordingly. Tactical turrets on today's scopes make the adjustment from the range to the field just a series of clicks. This is just me and surely some may think this is silly. Bottom line: Know your gun.

With all this I'll add a thumbs up to Rell's desire to own a 7X65R double. As he's looking to buy new the choice between an O/U or a SXS is a coin toss and either made by Chapuis is an excellent choice. One of these days I would like to find a nice early SXS for myself. I already have a nice 1917 Brenneke/E. Schmidt & Habermann/Oberndorf Mauser chambered for the 7X64 and love it.

Contact Us NitroExpress.com