buckstix
(.400 member)
24/06/13 08:22 PM
Re: Howdah you like this? Westley Richards 375 2-1/2 w/16" bbls

Hello AkMike,

Yes, I'm pretty happy with this unusual little rascal. I'm always been drawn to rifles that are "different" and "fun". I hope I can find out more about the history of why, and for whom, it was made.

As far as regulation goes, I'd like to think that Westley Richards wouldn't have put a small front bead, and a 5-leaf rear site (50 - 300 yards) on a rifle if it wasn't meant to shoot to those ranges.

I should know the answer to the regulation question 15 seconds after I fire the first pair over the chronograph.

If I look back at my history with short barreled rifles, I'm expecting velocity with a 270g bullet to be about 1700 fps. I built the rifle below in 1988, featured in Gun Digest that year, "Big Bore Bull Pup". (I looked a lot younger 25 years ago) Its overall length of 26-1/2" is 5" shorter than this W.R. It is 7mm-08 cal. and it lost about 25fps/inch (measured) as I shortened the barrel to its current 20" length.

(note: I won many High Power & Long Range Silhouette matches up to 600yds with my Bull Pup using both scope and iron sights)

I guess this makes the Westley Richards look a lot bigger.

Contact Us NitroExpress.com