buckstix
(.400 member)
23/06/13 08:43 AM
Howdah you like this? Westley Richards .375 x 2½" w/16" bbls

Hello All,

Some of you may have seen the earlier posts on January 30th and May 24th about a Westley Richards .375 x 2½" Nitro Express with 16" barrels. When this rifle came up for sale on Guns International last week, I couldn't resist it. What a fun little rifle this is going to be. It tips the scales at a stout 8 pounds 10 ounces, and has an overall length of 32-7/8". That's 1-3/8" shorter than a Winchester Model 94 Trapper model with the same 16" barrel length.

The large Butt Plate and stock with a 14-1/2" LOP, means it wasn't meant for a kid. I'm betting this was an upgrade over a Howdah Pistol. I've researched high and low for Short Barreled Howdah Rifles, but find only Howdah Pistols. Some of those pistols had barrels nearly as long as this rifle. Some Howdah Pistols even had shoulder stocks attached making them a primitive form of a carbine. When used from the Howdah atop an elephant, this would have been much more controllable than a pistol, and a lot less cumbersome than a full length rifle in the confined space of the Howdah.

It has many very interesting features: Horn Forearm Tip, Horn Grip Cap, and Horn Butt Plate with the Westley Richards Logo. Super condition wood. Sling Eyes. One standing and 4 folding leaf rear sight, 50/100/150/200/300. Lots of original Case Color in protected areas, and a Bore as sharp and bright as any I've seen. Overall finish of the metal is a superb original "purplish-brown" that shows its character from use years ago. Nice overall Engraving with a "Buck Deer" on the bottom of the action, a "Crouching Tiger" on the bottom of the trigger guard, and a "Saber-Tooth Deer" on the back of the Lever. The only thing it had missing was a "Saddle-Ring". Easy to remedy.

When my brass gets here next week, I'm going to see how it shoots.

Has anyone out there worked up a .375 x 2½" load for 16" barrels?

And Oh Yes, .... now a Saddle Ring.

Contact Us NitroExpress.com