CptCurlAdministrator
(.450 member)
01/01/05 12:17 AM
Re: Searcy .700 Nitro Express for sale on gunsamer

On the .700 NE theme, consider this:

At the Las Vegas Antique Arms Show two or three years ago, Holland & Holland had a .700 NE double on display. The attendant graciously allowed me to handle it. (Mind you - "handle it" is a relative term, at almost 20 lbs.)

I admired it, noticing it showed some evidence of use. There was no price tag, so I asked. The reply, "This rifle is not for sale. It is owned by the company and used for promotional purposes."

As the conversation went on, I learned that the rifle had been to Africa several times with well-heeled clients, and had taken its share of dangerous game. I also was told that at that time there were nine H&H rifles in .700 NE in existence and two in production.

Still curious about the value, I then asked what would be the price to order one up. I was told, dead seriously, "A rifle conforming to the general specifications of the rifle You are holding would now be well in excess of $250,000 USD."

As my knees went weak with the realization that I had a quarter million in my hands, I carefully handed the rifle back and thanked him for allowing me to handle it. I have no doubt that was the most monetary wealth I have ever held in these two hands!

Heaven knows what one would be now, with the weak USD.

Cheers,
CptCurl

Contact Us NitroExpress.com