NE450No2
(.375 member)
31/12/04 01:03 PM
Re: W.J. Jeffery History

Here is my theory on my 450 No2.
I have done some research on Edwinson Green. He seems to be mainly a shotgun Maker. He added "Son" to the end of his trade name as his eldest son entered the business. When his second son entered the business he added tha "s" to Son. This occured around 1925. The proof marks of my rifle are from this period.My theory is that Green acquired my boxlock barreled action from Jeffery OR someone who was doing the finishing action/bbl work for Jeffery and did the stock work. I do not know if the engraving was done before it went to Green or he might have used someone who did his shotgun work. I have been unable to examine a Green shotgun.
Someone I cannot remember who told me they have seen other Green double rifles. My double does not have the usual Leonard numbers on the bbls.
I think maybe a good shotgun customer of Green had him make him a double rifle because he liked the shotgun(s) he had bought from Green.
If anybody has anything to add I would love to hear it, and I would love to see a picture of a Green shotgun and a Thomas Turner double rifle to compare the engraving.

Contact Us NitroExpress.com