ALF
(.275 member)
29/12/04 06:19 PM
Re: W.J. Jeffery History

Interesting point you make and certainly one for debate but I would put it to you if you say the word Jeffery, 99% of the shooting public will say 404 in the next breath.

As someone who grew up in Africa around gun minded folk my first and enduring thoughts on the word Jeffery went to the 404. It was in terms of DG riflery the magic word.

It was bar Uganda the rifle of choice for government game departments and from this point it became the choice of many home boys. ( Uganda used the 425 WR as their choice caliber for government work.

Just a month ago I recieved confirmation from the now owners ( heirs to the family business of Westley Richards) that they supplied various game departments with literally hundreds of standard grade rifles and thus on number alone the 425 outnumber in terms of popularity any of the other cartridges Jeffery was involved with bar of course the 404.

Today you really need to look for a 425 in Africa whilst the 404 in original form is quite common.

Many modern day American hunters view the Double rifle as synonomous with African hunting but if you look at the total number of rifles built by each of the noted gunmakers you would certainly see that the majority of these guns found their way to India and not Africa. It was the writers of the 50's that really put that notion into word and put the double on the African pedestal.

Contact Us NitroExpress.com