mehulkamdar
(.416 member)
25/12/04 11:08 AM
Re: Woodward .450/400 3.25" & British proof marks

Hello Morten,

Good to see you here. After your article on Purdeys, please plan an article on the new Woodwards. Very few of us even knew that they had been reintroduced and I have to thank you for your knowledge and assistance with this information from your research. Perhaps, the Purdey company do not wish to market the Woodward name very openly as the old Woodwards were considered at least as good as the Purdeys were and in some cases ranked higher at least as far as O/Us were concerned. The new Boss website offers their new double rifles upto 600 NE in O/U configuration and perhaps that is the competition that Purdey are trying to address with the renewed Woodward name. It should be interesting as I have some material (Christopher Austyn, I think) on the big bore double O/Us made by the British in the classical era including a most unusual Westley Richards in 425 WR and with a single trigger in O/U. While many experts would call it a combination doomed to failure, it apparently worked and worked well according to Austyn.

Best wishes, my friend and do keep us informed after your next visit to Purdey/Woodward.

Mehul.

Contact Us NitroExpress.com