webley
(.224 member)
20/12/04 07:49 PM
Re: How "bad" is the recoil of a .577 BPE?

Hello PWM,
Hodgen Triple 7 may be loaded by bulk but as it's not the same in characteristics as the old bulk powders which were wonderful for shotgun loads - powders like 'EC' & 'Smokeless Diamond'.

In order to duplicate some 1920's shotgun loads for comparison purposes I recently used some of an old stock of EC in a shotgun - which resulted in basically no noticeable smoke & no more residue than most modern smokeless powders (the old powder gave the cexpected velocity as well after 60+ years).

Earlier this year I watched a fellow club member use Triple 7 in a 12 bore shotgun – smoke & residue were far more akin to what I’d expect from Pyrodex (although being far easier to clean).

Triple 7 seems a very useful powder but it’s not a modern replica of the smokeless bulk powders such as 'EC' and was not intended to be by Hodgdon. I don't think a single powder could perform both roles as the requirements of both.

However the existence of Triple 7 shows that it would not be a great step for Hodgden to come up with a powder that for shotguns at least would allow the original bulk powder loads & techniques to be used (but it’s admittedly of limited interest to most & thus the demand for such powder would be small).

As an aside - I wonder how much longer Pyrodex will be produced as 777 seems to do everything & more.

Regards
Webley

Contact Us NitroExpress.com