DUGABOY1
(.400 member)
18/12/04 03:04 AM
Re: How "bad" is the recoil of a .577 BPE?

In reply to:

Dugaboy,

I don't own a BPE, but have met several men who do (One was Ernie Stallman of Badger Barrels).

When I asked about loading smokeless loads, each one said "No way". When pressed for an answer why, each were of the belief that the guns were unsafe with smokeless.

They are welcome to their opinion, and you your's,and they, and you are right, partly! Individual cartridge rifles are unsafe for smokeless, but those are usually unsafe to shoot at all. however, if you will refere to the post by 400NitroExpress above, you will learn the facts, set forth by the rifle, and ammo makers themselves. 400NitroExpress is as knowledgable as anyone I know about double rifles, and the loading there of. There is one rule you never load a MUZZLELOADER with smokeless, but cartridges are so loaded all the time, and have been since smokeless powder was invented! It is simply a matter of knowing what you are doing!

A quick look in any book on the history of cartridges, will yeald pleanty of "NITRO FOR BLACK" loads from every factory that was in business at the begining of the trasition, from black to smokeless. Most of the failiers were due to weak brass, not rifles! A good example is the 45-70 Gov as loaded by the factory, today. It is loaded with smokeless, but is safe in the old black powder rifles.

PS: I worked 31 years for American Airlines. I started in Aircraft maintenance,in El Paso Texas,in 1965, then went into airfreight, and ended up transfereing to DFW in 1982, was a zone coordinator for a time, and finaly running a BMAS office,till I retired in 1996!

Contact Us NitroExpress.com