granhaven
(.224 member)
30/12/12 01:18 PM
Re: Does the time taken to shoot 2nd barrel affect regulation?

NitroX

Shooting my Merkel BBF 7x65R 12/70 at regional Polish shooting competitions, where one of the diciplines is 100 Meters standing Roebuck with a series of 10 shots within 10 minutes, I allways had to compensate for shot number two with 10 centimeters under the target, shot number 3 at 18 centimeters under, shots number 3 to 10 still 18 centimeters under. This does indeed complicate shooting. the waiting time untill the barrels have come back is up to 15 minutes.

Normal rythm in shooting would be roughly 40 seconds or so.

Shooting a double rifle in a driven hunting situation is a different setup, the time difference will be in the range of 1 to 2 seconds for a small caliber like 7x65R and a little more for a 375Flanged.

To me 7 seconds between shots when regulating seems quite long, boars running at 10 meters / second will have covered 70 meters by then and be looooong gone in the forest. I do not have a direct meassure of the upper barrel movement over time but it cannot be neglected and should be considered when regulating and testing ammunition.

To discuss how well a double rifle regulates at 200 meters, paralele or crossing is for me a purely academic discussion, 50 meters is quite an acceptable distance. If they are an inch or two part that will be all I can whish for.

regards, Peter Frost Hørlyck

Contact Us NitroExpress.com