DUGABOY1
(.400 member)
30/11/04 02:44 PM
Re: Death by Double rifle

In reply to:

I just watched 'Death by Double Rifle' on a CD. An interesting video whith shots on Buffalo and Elephant with a 450/400 3 1/4, a 470 and a 577.

The whole tape was a 21 day hunt with only double rifles! I believe in addtion to the ones mentioned above there was a 375 H&H double with a scope mounted.

In reply to:

Some interesting shooting and some terrible shooting.

That was my impression, as well! Some of the shots were simply amazing, and some were pure knee jerk placements!

In reply to:

Not enough info on the rifles for me. In fact they were barely mentioned as to type etc and not many actual pictures.

This is my complaint with most of the films about hunting in Africa! Most of the hunters who are intrested in hunting Africa, are as much shooters, as they are hunters. Especially, young hunters are very interested in what rifles are used, and in the sound reasons for that choice.

On most films, there seems to be a lack of concern, or even general knowledge about rifles amoung most film makers, as well as PHs. It seems what ever they use is fine, and the client should be able to hit a 3" dot painted on a cardboard box at 100 yds, over the bonnet of a Toyota. That client should use a 375 H&H bolt rifle, no matter what the type of action, or sights, as long as there is a scope! None of this is all bad, a PH who uses the same rifle for 30 yrs, is bound to get where he can shoot it. However, a client that doesn't know somthing about the rifles he is to depend on to guard his life, feels confident in trusting a PH to drag his nuts out of the fire! The film makers, think, it seems, that the only thing people want to see is an animal get shot. What with, doesn't seem to strike the film maker as important to the viewer.

Contact Us NitroExpress.com