400NitroExpress
(.400 member)
24/11/04 10:42 AM
Re: Krieghoff express sights

JPaul:

I'm sure that if something happened to his rifle he would get another Krieghoff.

He bought it as an off-the-rack .500/.416 and added 20 gauge barrels. Then he added .375 Flanged Magnum barrels with detachable mounts. The rifle is due back from Germany any day - with the new 7X65R barrels. I'd say he has a thing for it. He did the opposite from what you would though, he had the blued parts (safety lever, maybe the fore-end iron, I can't remember) refinished to match the silver nitrate receiver. He shoots the hell out of it. I've shot it quite a bit myself.

There's no explaining matters of taste - which is why there are so many gunmakers. To be honest, the Krieghoff just isn't my cup of tea. Personally, I intensely dislike the Kriegoff safety and have deep misgivings about how safe it really is. The safety aside, I'm not fond of the aesthetics or the handling dynamics. To be fair though, it strikes me as a sound, rugged rifle. The accuracy of the .416 and .375 barrels is simply beyond criticism and that is the acid test of any double rifle. If you can get along with the safety and like the way it feels, I'm sure that it will give you good service.
-------------------------------------

Contact Us NitroExpress.com