DarylS
(.700 member)
03/06/12 09:10 AM
Re: More heresy - scopes on doubles

I hunted for years and years with a straight 4X on my big game rifles. I even taped my Daughter's 2 1/2 to 10X scope at it' 4X setting, but then, she shoots better than any client I ever witnessed tested on paper.

Elbow rested, 1 1/2" for 10 shots @ 100meters using a solid black (no aiming point) deer silhouette for a target. 8 shots inside 1 1/8". I merely said, kill that deer. Is more power needed?

I see too many people every year, due to having high power variable scopes, using them for glassing, instead of binoculars. Around here, whe you see movement, it might be a hunter walking down a logging road or on a trail you didn't even know was there.

I've personally see a glint, looked at it through my binocs to see someone looking at me through his damn 3-9X variable scope That will make your neck hair stand up! How many times are neophites like this curling a finger on the trigger? He actually thought you were a moose, deer or bear. I am convinced high powered variables promote this 'glassing for game' using the rifle's scope.

If I had my way, scopes during big game season would be limited to 4X or less - 2X would be even better. That at least would limit or eliminate the 'glassing' with their rifle scopes.

That's my opinion of variables. Yes, I have a number of them and use high powers only when load testing. During the hunting season, they are taped off at 3X or 4X.

Contact Us NitroExpress.com