Martin
(.224 member)
11/11/04 04:13 AM
Re: Opinions needed on a new double

Hi Nitro476.

To return to your original question. In Europe the Heym is generally very well thought of. Prices are perhaps a little lower here but not much. The 88 box lock is the favoured DB and is available in most calibres, interstingly in a .450 nitro. Nicely upgraded with better wood this gun is definately good value. I've handled one and thought it to be rather nice.

I totally agree with you about "cheaper" English doubles. When they are superb they are absolutely marvolous, but if they're not....... The Heym to a good spec. and a little extra finish runs about $17,000 here. You cannot buy a really top English box lock double, not too old, in beautiful cosmetic condition, in a desirable calibre, for this money. Not everyone wants an antique and there is a special satifation in owning a new gun to your particular spec.

If I were in this market Nitro, given their feel and excelent reputation in Europe, I would definately buy a Heym box lock. We all know it will never feel like an English gun, but then why should it - it's German.

Martin

Contact Us NitroExpress.com