DarylS
(.700 member)
15/04/12 01:30 AM
Re: Bought a Baikal (Remington)

Max - I have no personal experience with the 325gr. rubber tipped Hornady bullet, but have been told it is too soft for heavy game like Elk or Moose in factory lever gun ammo. I think perhaps much depends on impact velocity.

My bro shot a bull moose with his .45 3 1/2" Sharps using a 300gr. Sierra or perhaps Hornady FN - not a hollow point. I'm sure it was a Sierra bullet - but in any event,it was not a hollow point as many of these 300gr. in .458's are. So the one he had was flat nosed. They shot into 3/8"/cloverleafs every time with him shooting at 100 meters off the bags & a 2 1/2X scope I mounted. Yeah - that was a big scabby - that little scope on a Sharps.

The moose was about 60 yards away and the muzzle velocity form the 30" bl. was a chronographed & easy going 2,260fps. The shot was made broadsize, hitting a rib on the way in passing between the ribs on the way out - yes - exit, with a 1" hole. That bullet displayed 'hard' charateristics, not normal for a 300gr. .458 and certainly not normal for a Sierra bullet. It would be a good bullet for a Baikal, at max. Trapdoor speeds of 2,221fps as shown by Hodgdon.

I would not try to drive one in from the rear end, though. Too light and too low a SD. I firmly suspect that bullet would easily go lengthwise on a big muley or whitetail, though.

I'll have to check to see if he's still got some of those bullets or ammo to check on the proper brand. He re-barreled to a .50 many years ago, but still has all his brass, I'm sure.

Contact Us NitroExpress.com