Birdhunter50
(.375 member)
07/04/12 10:10 PM
Re: Bought a Baikal (Remington)

Fjold,
It sounds to me like they have changed their evil ways, at least to some extent in that they have at least given you a way to regulate it. Do nothing in the way of regulation till you get the triggers and action smoothed up, otherwise you are just wasting your time and ammunition. The one thing that I could not fix on mine, and yours may be the same way, is that they make the pistol grip so long that it is really hard to reach the front trigger. I somewhat overcame that by making sure that I always fired the back trigger first and saved the other one in case a backup shot was needed. So far, I have not needed to use the second trigger.

There was a discussion on here awhile ago about which trigger to use first, on all my other doubles I always use the front trigger first. This is the only gun I own where I use the back trigger first and I have to make myself remember to do that. Even though I was born lefthanded I understand that most folks are righthanded and the doubles have always been set up to fire the front trigger first then slide back to the back trigger. The trigger pulls are set so that the front one pulls just a little lighter than the back one, that is done to prevent a double firing of both barrels at once. You may not like it but that is the way most older doubles were set up.

I set this one up so that the rear trigger is just a little lighter than the front for the same reason. I won't work on your triggers, sorry to have to tell you that, but for one thing I don't want to have to ship the darned thing back and forth and second, you living in California makes it more complicated. The real main reason though, is that I simply don't have the time right now. You should not have any trouble finding a good gunsmith to do this job for you out there. It will save you money and headachs if you have it done locally, anyway. It's not all that hard to do but to get the triggers pulling correctly takes up some time. Be prepared to pay the man for his time. You bought a bargain gun at a great price, now you need to pay the rest of the bill to get it corrected to suit you. The woodwork is fairly simple and straight forward, you can do it yourself if you want to badly enough. You will want to go over it with a light coat of stain when you are done with it, though.

If you are capable of doing it, I would highly suggest that you rechecker it while you are doing the rest of the woodwork. It will help clean up the lines of the gun and make it feel and handle better. It kind of pulls the whole thing together and makes it look more like a factory job.
Good Luck with your new gun. Bob

Contact Us NitroExpress.com