Birdhunter50
(.375 member)
02/04/12 09:49 PM
Re: Bought a Baikal (Remington)

Frank,
I just hope they gave you a way to regulate it. On my 30-06 over and under, they just put in a round barrel spacer that is meant to be switched out for different diameter spacers to get the high and low adjustment correct. The only problem was that when I called the sales company about getting it adjusted, they refered me to the importer,(EAA). When I called them, the guy told me that they had the different size barrels but he wouldn't sell me one, even after I told him how far the were crossing at 25 yards. He told me that I needed to hire a gunsmith to measure it. I told him I was a gunsmith and he still refused to sell it to me. He was very rude about it! I finally took the spacer out and turned it down on my lathe, twice, till I got it regulated.
Another problem with them is the stocks on them are terrible for fit and finish, as mentioned earlier, but you can do something about that. Mine had wood that was way too high all the way around it, but the worst part was that they left the whole thing squared off in the grip area. I marked all the way around the butt stock next to the metal with a sharp pencil, then removed the stock, then took off the extra wood. While I was at it I rounded everything over better and blended in the curves, then I recheckered it. Sanded and stained, it looks much better.
The biggest problem was that mine came with trigger pulls that outweighed the gun. Seriously!
I had to take it apart,(not all that hard), and file off a bunch of burrs on the internals, then I stoned and polished them till I ended up with 3.5 and 4 pound trigger pulls, approximately.
After all that work I had a rifle that was regulated correctly, felt and handled much better, and I think looks better than what the factory put out. I don't know why the Russians can't do the same work on them before they assemble them, it would be much easier for them to do these little things and worth more money to them and the buyers if they would.
All that being said, I did find their tolerences were very tight and the metal machining was well done. The gun is very accurate after I cleaned it up a bit. I wish you well with your new gun,and I think you can do a few things to make it a better shooter. I hope, for your sake that it is regulated properly to start with, if not, get right after the company and tell them it is off. See what kind of solutions they offer. Good Luck with it. Bob

Contact Us NitroExpress.com