DarylS
(.700 member)
01/04/12 09:58 AM
Re: Bought a Baikal (Remington)

I find your mirth misplaced, Frank, - the .50/70 and .45/70 killed more buffalo when used with 70gr. black powder and loaded with 405gr., 450gr. and 500gr. lead bullets, than all the more powerful 'buffalo' rounds put together. I doubt the 45gr./405gr. "Carbine Load" was used much for buffalo, but probably when no other ammo was available.

Those who might think the round is too underpowered for buffalo, merely need to try it.

As to Cape Buffalo - perhaps one needs to try one of the 400gr. 'solid' bullets available and at this rifles maximum pressure load, achieve around 1,950fps, a full 200fps higher velocity than the load Brian Pierce used on two Cape bufflao - both killed with the same bullet from one shot - that just happened to be 4 shoulders - first the bull's then the cow's.

Now, getting the rifle to regulate with that load, is up to you.

I'd love to have one of those rifles in .45/70 - but it is in need of considerable stock work, or perhaps re-stocking completely if desired - but remodeling would be necessary for me.

In the barreled action, you have the basis for a great hunting rifle for North America - maybe even Africa, as Brian's experience shows.

My opinion is simply that the factory stock sucks big time- the concept and basic gun (barreled action) is just fine.

Contact Us NitroExpress.com