CptCurlAdministrator
(.450 member)
29/03/12 01:09 AM
Re: Opinions wanted....Beavertail or Splinter on a DR

Quote:

About the forend becoming loose, this rarely happens since the majority of the rearward force is against the Receiver NOT the forend latch.

It seems to me you don't understand the nature of the forces at play. With the beavertail forend, the hand grasps only wood, that is to say, only the forend and not the barrels. When the rifle recoils, the forend meets resistance from the forward hand. The effect is the same as if the forward hand shoves the forend forward. Thus the unwanted stress to the latch and other forend parts is a forward force working on the rear of the latch and its lug. It is not a rearward force at all.

Quote:

CPTCURL'S problem with his Silver Hawk forend was mainly due to the fact that this was not one of Beretta's better made guns...as a gunsmith this I know.

From my personal observation this explanation doesn't carry the day.

Westley375, you seem adamant in favor of a beavertail. That suits me fine. I have good friends who fawn over Parker shotguns with forends as big as a saw log. In their eyes it's beautiful. In my eye it's butt ugly. The question is answered 90% by personal preference, and on that we are absolutely entitled to satisfy ourselves.

Curl

Contact Us NitroExpress.com