nitro476
(.300 member)
08/11/04 05:28 AM
Re: Opinions needed on a new double

Thanks Mickey and 500 nitro for your input. When I am talking about restoration I am referring to having the receiver and associated furniture re-color case hardened. The barrels re-blacked and the action gone thru and all pieces hand polished. I had a couple of doubles restocked, one because it was necessary and the other because it was butt ugly! A restock job by a top stockmaker runs around 2300.00 US plus the price of the blank. I always have a new pad installed and covered with leather, 250.00 US. To rebalck the barrels runs 500.00, the action work can easily run 1,000 to 1,500. To recolor the action and niter blue the associated parts will run on the average of 600.00. I have always got a decent return on these guns but the waiting time to have the work PROPERLY done can easily take a year or more. The worse gun I ever dealt with was the Dominion grade 465 I just sold. This thing had more ongoing problems than a Testarossa Ferrari, ( I know this as a fact as I have had one) and I was thrilled to get rid of it. Sorry boys but Hollands are terribly overated and I would not own another! My Westley would shoot circles aroun the H&H and never was there a minutes problem with it. The same would go for my old Rigby in 470. After owning 28 of double rifles and due to tiring of haveing them corrected to how I want them, I am toying with the idea of getting one of the continent guns for a trial run. I must also say that the supply of good English guns has dried up in the last few years. It is very difficult to locate a decent gun for a wholesale price. I refuse to pay retail for any gun and the prices in the US are through the roof.

Contact Us NitroExpress.com